Sunday, December 11, 2016

Autonomous States

Autonomous States for the DisUnited States of America? It's a question I have been pondering for a long time, and now more than ever it seems like a relevant topic. I too, have been feeling overwhelmed by the supposed election results, with feelings delving into depression, fear, anger and despair. I know I am not alone, and I know it's normal, in light of the election and what it means for America. 
I can offer some perspective from Europe, based on what people are saying and what's covered in the news.  In Sweden, for example, todays newspaper is reporting that there is strong evidence pointing to Russia having influenced the US election in Trumps favor. That report is a front page item. It is clear, if the supposed election results stand unchallenged, that the time has come to resist in every way possible. If we all engage in resistance, in whatever way we can, we can demonstrate to our neighbours and the world that this unfortunate situation does not represent our values and beliefs. 

We are not powerless! The power of "we" is one of the reasons my family and I decided to move to Europe in the first place. It's an opportunity to show Kodiak a different way of operating in society- away from the "I" that is the foundation of the States and a chance to live within a "we" place. Both the "I" and the "We" have important attributes and this is not about putting one over the other, rather offering a different way of being.

A small but significant observation I have had in Barcelona is how much fear I carry. What streets are safe to walk on? Who should I avoid?  How late can I walk around? Am I safe alone in the subways at night? Basic concerns in America. I have repeatedly heard from friends living here, that one may get pick pocketed but they wont hurt you. You can walk anywhere, anytime as a woman. You can wear whatever you want.  Really? What? 
Oh right, I just came from a completely armed population, many of which are medicated and mentally ill. Anything can happen at any time. And terrible things do happen. 
Quite a stark contrast, non? And why is America armed again? So they can overthrow an oppressive government one day? Maybe that time is near? 



I promise I will not be blogging about the sad state of American politics again. I was inspired to design a new flag- for the Autonomous States, a symbol of resistance perhaps. I was directly inspired by the flag of Catalonia- a very independent, autonomous region- always fighting for self determination to be recognized by Spain. The Catalonian flag can be seen hanging from many balconies all over the city. 
Legend has it that the four red bars are symbolic of King Charles(the bald) bloody fingers running down the shield of the Count of Barcelona, Wilfred I (the Hairy) as he was dying during the siege of Barcelona in 897. The blood was that of the dying Count and that image was transcribed onto the flag. I have compiled a few of my favorite pictures of the Catalonian independence flag below.







No comments:

Post a Comment